AD Apparently I’m a pain to buy for at Christmas. Apart from the obvious books, my friends and family struggle with finding Christmas gifts for history lovers. So I thought I would help them out and make my own Christmas Gift Guide – perfect for history lovers just like me!
In my family we don’t do BIG Christmas gifts – and I think it puts too much pressure on people anyway – so ALL gifts in this guide are under £40. So more money for mulled wine and mince pies!
So here’s my personal guide to the best Christmas gifts for history lovers.
- Herstorian Society Box from Clavis & Claustra – Give the gift that keeps on giving! The Herstorian Society Box is a monthly box of goodies for lovers of herstory, containing stationery, accessories, gifts and other treasures, along with a monthly calendar card. Every month spotlights a different shero, from painters and pioneers to writers and rebels. And alongside exciting new or unique Clavis & Claustra products, there will be a guest creative designer/maker featured in each box with beautiful designs for you to enjoy. I was previously gifted the Boudica box for review and I loved it!
- The Great British History Map from Marvellous Maps – Featuring over 1,500 royally visitable historical locations, journeys and stories, this cartographical blast from the past will inspire some intrepid time travel through bygone Britain, a seemingly foreign country where they did things very differently. And even better? I helped out with the design of this map! Fancy a discount? Use the code DROPANDGIMME20 to get 20% off 2 or more maps when ordered through the Marvellous Maps website.
- Pride and Prejudice Movie Posters from Film Freak Design – Have the ultimate heartthrob on your wall with this Mr Darcy poster. A must have for all chic fashionistas, Regency lovers, stylish gals, Colin Firth fans or and also all the Jane Austen fans out there! This poster is available in blue and grey, and a variety of sizes. Fancy a discount? Use the EXCLUSIVE discount code HISDORYAN for 10% off at checkout.
- Fridge Magnet from The Creative Historian – What better way to display your love of women’s history than on your kitchen fridge?! This small but perfectly formed gift would make the perfect stocking filler or Secret Santa gift for the history lover in your life.
- Column Candle from Heritage Candle Co. – This Ancient Iconic Column Candle is the PERFECT gift for any history fan, history teacher, archeologist, architect, ancient mythology fan, partner, friend, birthday, Christmas or even to enjoy in your own home! These homemade candles are made in Wales with vegan, cruelty free products, made from soy-wax, which is natural and and sustainable. Soy wax is biodegradable and burns cleaner and up to 50% longer than paraffin wax.
- Tudor Queen Bookmarks from E Schelpe Heritage – Celebrating the vibrant wives of Henry VIII and his longest reigning daughter Queen Elizabeth I, these bookmarks include an image of each queen below a famous quote or motto spoken by the figure themselves. I’ve reviewed these products on Instagram and trust me they are very high quality! Can buy individually or as a set.
6. Jane Eyre Gift Set from the Literary Emporium – If anyone is still looking for some inspiration for a Christmas gift for me this year, this is it! The perfect gift for a book lover, this Charlotte Brontë gift set is based around Jane Eyre and is sure to satisfy literary longings. The set comes with a Penguin Classics copy of the book itself, cloth bound with a stunning, hardback cover. A perfect companion for these cold winter nights!
7. A Christmas Carol Door Knocker Enamel Pin by Laura Crow – A quality enamel pin featuring the iconic opening quote from everyone’s favourite festive story, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens! This book badge would be the perfect addition to any book worm’s bag or jacket lapel, especially those that love classical literature and escaping to the world of Victorian England.
8. Busy Bees Mug from What Is History? Store – What’s better than a mug featuring a beautiful bee design based on 14th Century stained glass from St Denys Church, York? How about the fact that a portion of profits from every sale goes to Ripon’s Cathedral A Wing and a Prayer campaign?
9. Obstinate Headstrong Girl Sweater from The Jane Austen Museum – Who doesn’t love Jane Austen?! Wear Lady Catherine’s admonition of Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice as a badge of honour, with this Obstinate Headstrong Girl Sweatshirt from the Jane Austen Museum in Bath.
10. Dionysus Notebook from MythsNTits – One for the classics and mythology lovers! From a fab Welsh creative business, this A6 notebook featuring Dionysus, God of Wine, Fertility and Parties is perfect for Christmas party season!
11. The Welsh History Travel Guide from the Hisdoryan Blog – Use this gift to plan your historical adventures for 2022. This handy e-guide is made up of 30+ pages packed full of the best historical sites and attractions to visit in Wales. Sites are broken down by both historical era and geography – perfect if you are staying in one region, or are interested in a particular area of history. If you’re planning on visiting Wales soon you need this book!
Which one of these Christmas gifts for history lovers do you want to find in your stocking this year? Let us know in the comments below.
Please note this post is marked AD as it contains a mixture of affiliate links, exclusive discount codes and products previously gifted for review – but trust me, they all make great Christmas gifts!